Sunday, May 30, 2010

How Many New Parents Does It Take to Hang Up Letters on a Wall?

First of all: SCHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL'S... OUT... FOR... SUMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, sorry--had to get that out. I can't believe I made it, but it feels good knowing that I won't have to worry about getting up and stressing about work for a few months.

In other news...

Here are some photos of me a couple of weeks ago. I was almost 34 weeks. I'm getting bigger and bigger and bigger and bigger. I may just explode! I'm probably even bigger now--yikes!





Well, it has finally happened--we have hung up the things that needed to be hung on the walls of KJ's room! I do believe that the only thing left to do in there is put up her window treatment, which should be done fairly soon. There are also some cute things at Storkland (where we got her baby furniture) that I may try and check out after my doctor's appointment on Tuesday.

So, you may ask... why does this post have the title it does? Well, it probably took us an hour or two to get the letters ready and hung up.

Our first dilemma was how long we should cut each piece of ribbon. Well, it was kind of a look and see type deal, but after some attempts, we finally figured it out. At first, some were too long and that would make the others too short. Then we thought we may run out of ribbon. Ahhhh!! Finally, after some tweaking, we were able to work it out.

Then, we were going to try and tie our ribbon like Brad and Megan have Carson and Parker's letters in their room, but we couldn't figure out the best way to do that. Our frustrations were also getting in the way. :) So we decided to Google what other people had done. Some people had used eye screws, some had used velcro and some had used hot glue. So we decided that we would try hot gluing the ribbon on the back of the letters. Now, I am majorly OCD, so I had to make sure that the ribbon was glued the exact width apart on each letter, so I had to measure all 8 letters in order for this to happen. Then I had to mark the positions. Finally, I had to glue all the ribbon. Okay, so this was done... not quickly, of course.

Next step, hanging them so they are the same distance apart. Well, we measured the width we had to work with--45.5 inches. So we figured, hey--divide that by 8. Uhm, no. That doesn't work for future reference! Luckily, we didn't go ahead and hammer in the nails. We just used pushpins at first so we could get an idea of where to put the nails. So they didn't leave that big of a hole. We had the first one and the last one up, then we put the final 6. Between the 7th pushpin and the last pushpin, there was a HUGE gap. After looking at it, I finally figured out you have to divide by 7 (not 8) in order for this to work since we wanted the first nail to start at 0 and the last nail to end at 45.5. Confusing, I'm sure... but they are nailed on the wall... and I must admit, they look pretty good! Who knew this task could be so difficult? I'm sure for most people it's not. But Aaron and I sure did a great job at making it hard!!



Then, Aaron hung up the toy hammock in one corner of the room. We were able to clear out some of the closet space that was taken up by stuffed animals. Aaron arranged all the animals so they were all facing the front and you could see all of their faces. Who knew a man could care so much about something like this? :) If you look in the top right corner of the picture below, you'll see the hammock.



We also got the two pictures and mirror up that we had bought a few weeks back. And we also decided to move the chair, so that it wasn't so cluttered around the window. Really, I think the main reason Aaron wanted that to happen was so that Marley and the cats could still look out the window--haha! But I really like it better. Plus, we will be able to see the window treatment more with the chair on the other side. See below for updated pictures of the nursery.







But, like I said earlier... now the room is almost done--I'd say 90-95% complete. We also have 2 bags packed for the hospital for Kerrigan and I have my bag packed--for the most part. I need to go back through and make sure I have most everything ready. If you look in the picture that shows the toy hammock, you'll see the two bags hanging on the door--an easy grab and go.

We're almost down to the final month now. This is a good thing, even though I'm still really nervous about giving birth and being a new mom, because being pregnant is getting harder and harder everyday! It's so hard to move and walk and bend over and get off the couch or out of bed and get dressed and shave, and my legs/ankles/feet and fingers are so swollen, etc., etc.

My next doctor's appointment is on Tuesday, so I'll try and give an update on it soon afterward. I have a CST and then I meet with Dr. Tamucci. Hopefully everything is still going well and I'm measuring okay. I don't think I'll get an ultrasound this visit--I think I remember her telling me it would be the next appointment.

Since summer has officially started for me, I've seen more rain than sun. Hopefully these thunderstorms will stop, but it looks like it may rain most of the week. But I'd like for AJ and I to try and get some pool time tomorrow since he'll be off work for Memorial Day.

PS: Aaron's birthday is on Wednesday--call, text, email, or Facebook him and wish him a happy day! ;) Monetary gifts are welcome............................... teehee!

lj

3 comments:

  1. sooooo cute leah! Im so excited for you two! good luck and congrats!!!
    hugs, Mandy p.s. my real name is sandra... blah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the letters! They look so good. Ya'll did a great job! Way to go parents! The first of many tasks you will accomplish together with a little one. I really like the chair on the other side. Not only can the pets look out but one day little K will want to crawl up to that window and look out! I can't believe she's almost here!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HA! Oh my goodness--I'm too OCD for that project. It would have taken me like three hours to do EACH letter! I would have yelled at Doug to come and see if he thought it was straight every 5 seconds ;) It looks super cute, though! So do YOU. You do look like you're about to pop--but I think it's sweet. Now you just need a baby to go in that room and it will be complete ;) Love-Bailey

    ReplyDelete