Monday, May 24, 2010

5 weeks & 2 days until the due date...

I will be 35 weeks pregnant on Wednesday. It's hard to believe how close I am until my due date. This pregnancy has really seemed to fly by. There hasn't really been too much going on in our lives the past couple of weeks. I have definitely hit that third trimester tired stage because I haven't even had the energy to log on and blog about nothing. But today I took the day off because our school has Field Day and I definitely would not have made it with the combination of the heat, humidity and my poor swollen feet and ankles. So I am taking advantage of it and going to write about a few things.

Last Wednesday, I went to the doctor for a Nonstress Test. I was hooked up to a heart monitor for about 20 minutes so they could check Kerrigan's heartbeat. For the most part, it was averaging between 135 and 140. In order to pass the test, her heart rate had to escalate 15 beats (around 150 or so) for 15 consecutive seconds three times. Apparently hers did because I passed. I was also hooked up to a blood pressure cuff the entire time, so that was a good way to get my blood pressure checked. It was normal the whole time. The thing that really was interesting is when the nurse said, "You're having a contraction right now. What does it feel like?" If she wouldn't have said anything, I wouldn't have had a clue! I had a few contractions but they were mild. Just felt like a little cramping and tightening in my abdomen. I also had to click a button whenever she moved. It seemed like she moved a lot which was unusual for the time of day.

My doctor told me that I was going to have these tests each week until I deliver. However, with this week being the last week of school, the only day I would have been able to go back this week would have been today. At first she was okay with that but I guess she figured it wouldn't hurt to go past a week, so I go back next Tuesday, June 1. This time I will have to have a CST (contraction stress test). I am not really sure why I will have this test this time. While I had the NST, there were a few instances where Kerrigan's heart rate dropped. But the nurse was not concerned about it. She said that it could have been that Kerrigan rolled over on her cord or the amniotic fluid got low. I will update that doctor's appointment next week.

After I had the NST, I went to see Dr. Tamucci. All she had to do was look at my results and she said it was a great heartbeat. Since my BP was already checked and we just spent 20 minutes testing the heart rate, all she had to do was measure me. She noticed my feet and ankles and she was not concerned. She explained that they were preparing my body for labor--basically they serve as a type of "IV" because once I deliver, I will lose lots of fluid/blood and the fluid built up in my legs, ankles and feet will help replenish that. Hopefully I explained that correctly. Not being a doctor, all this stuff tends to confuse me. But I thought it was interesting.

On Saturday, Aaron and I went to a Prepared Childbirth Class. It was an all day class that concluded at the hospital, where we were given a tour. We saw a lot of video clips and learned a lot of information. Not that I was considering anything differently, but I am now 110% sure that I will get an epidural. They showed us several clips of women having contractions and giving labor without one. And, uhm... no. I don't think I can handle all of that! We did do some breathing exercises, which I couldn't help but laugh while I was doing. I doubt I'll be laughing when I'm really having contractions!! I won't go into everything we learned about, but it was pretty helpful. When we got to the hospital, we were able to see where we go when I get dropped off. We saw some birthing suites and postpartum rooms. We also saw the Well Baby Nursery; although, it was empty. It really just made everything that much more real.

As far as Kerrigan's room, it is almost completely done. Mom's friend Debby is in the midst of doing a window treatment that should be finished soon. We have to put up the KERRIGAN letters still. We also have a couple of pictures and a mirror that we need to hang up. We got a mobile the other day that Aaron put on the crib. We also bought a net/hammock to hang up in the corner of the wall to put stuffed animals in. Aaron will have to work on putting that up, too. Just a few more loose ends to tie up and we will be set.

Yesterday was the first day Aaron and I got to use my parents' pool this year. So glad this time of year is finally here! After Friday, it will be summer vacation for me!

lj

1 comment:

  1. AHH!! So exciting!! I don't know how you're still moving and walking around... I am SO tired I just want to sleep all day! (not good for studying for the Bar). You'll have to tell me about your childbirth class and give me lots of tips on things as I get closer. I feel like they are kind of throwing me to the wolves and saying, "Umm good luck with that!" I need lists. I need schedules. I am too Type A for this ;) Glad the BP test and heartbeat were good. Love!

    ReplyDelete