Monday, July 19, 2010

Attack of Mastitis...Twice More!

Our baby girl turned 1 month old last Thursday, July 15. It's hard to believe she is already that old! Everyone always said that it goes by way too fast, and I'm starting to see that is a true statement! I've seen some ideas from people and I'm kind of stealing one from my friend Heather (hopefully she won't mind). :) But I decided that each month, I would sit her in her rocking chair with a pink stuffed bear to show how much she has grown. Here's the first month's pictures:







She was starting to fall over a bit...


I was glad that she was so bright-eyed! It was a pretty late photo session. :)

We've been hanging in there for the past five weeks. :) Kerrigan has been sleeping longer periods of time during the night, so we are definitely making some progress. It is so much fun watching all of the different things she has started doing... even though they are small. She focuses on objects a lot more and she makes so many different facial expressions. She grabs onto things and has such a tight grip! All in all, we have to admit that she has been a wonderful baby. We have definitely been blessed with a sweet little girl. We are very lucky. :) It is so exciting to experience this and I can't wait for what's to come in the upcoming days, weeks, months and years. I just hope they don't go by TOO fast!

As far as me, I have been battling mastitis AGAIN. My first bout was back on June 29th. My second one occurred last Wednesday, July 14. I missed my doctor by a day (I had a 4 week postpartum checkup the 13th). I felt like I had tackled this one earlier than the first one because it did not end up as painful. It was in my left breast this time and I felt like I knew it was beginning. I started out fine with no fever or body aches. However, as the day went on, I started feeling worse. I had a 100.8 fever, so Aaron called my doctor's office that afternoon and I was called in another antibiotic. I started taking it as soon as Aaron got home and I started feeling better the next day. A few days passed and my RIGHT breast started to feel sore (my right breast was sore the very first time). I couldn't believe it! It was so strange because I was already taking antibiotics for the left breast. So Saturday I woke up because I couldn't sleep because it was hurting so much. I didn't have fever so I was just trying to take it easy. But as the day went on, I was feeling worse and worse and worse. I laid on the couch, took a nap, pumped, drank fluids... tried everything I could because I figured I was already on antibiotics. I was also taking ibuprofen to help with the pain. By the evening, I took my temperature again and it was 102.4. So I knew this was trouble. I was almost on the verge of having Aaron take me to the ER. But he called my doctor's emergency line and Dr. Straughn was on call. She works in Dr. Tamucci's practice so I was comfortable with whatever she said. She was very close to telling Aaron to bring me in, but she decided to call me in a different antibiotic and some pain medication. She told Aaron that if I wasn't any better by Sunday that I did need to go to the Emergency Room. She also told him that I needed to see Dr. Tamucci on Monday. So yesterday (Sunday, 7/18), I was fever free by 9 a.m. My breast still hurt, but I felt much better. So I didn't have to go to the ER! :)

Today, I went to the doctor to have my breast checked out. I had blood work done and my white blood cell count was fine, which meant the antibiotics were working and the infection was localized. My doctor was puzzled why I had had 3 bouts of mastitis since I was only pumping and not breastfeeding--no mouth to the breast--therefore less chance for bacteria to enter. Anyway, the final verdict was to try and avoid more infections. I've been lucky to be able to pump for 5 weeks so far, so at least Kerrigan has gotten some breast milk. But unfortunately I've been having far too many issues, so I'm going to start weening off breast pumping. We have already been supplementing with formula anyway because I haven't been able to produce enough, so the conversion will be easy. I hate I won't be able to supply her with breast milk for longer, but I have to make sure and look out for myself too. Hopefully everything will transition smoothly.

Here's a few more pictures:

Parker insisted on me taking a picture of him holding his baby cousin KJ


Napping with Daddy... Daddy knows what Mommy feels like on Fridays now!


Fahj was marking his sister


Kerrigan and Mommy


Snuggled Up!


Some pictures from Bebe and Pop's last Sunday afternoon:




















I can't believe summer is winding down already. But I'm not going back to work until Labor Day so I still have a little more time left with Kerrigan at home. But when I have to go back to work, I don't know what I'm going to do!!!

Before I finish, I want to ask for everyone to please pray for one of my former students, Reilly Montgomery. She was recently diagnosed with Stage 3 Wilms. She had her kidney removed last week and this week, she will have her port put in. Additionally, she will begin chemo this week as well. She will have 28 weeks of chemo. Her mother, Amy, also cuts my hair. This is a very special child and family. For more information about her condition, please visit her CaringBridge site: http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/reillymontgomery Thanks for praying!

Until next time...

lj

No comments:

Post a Comment